My Piano Man and I had a fantastic day at BookCon 2015. We’ve been sharing this kind of bookish experience for years, but I’m always surprised by what it means. I think many of us often go through life believing that we’ll never find another person whose tastes, wants and needs are as deliciously geeky as our own.
We left the house relatively early, after packing a bag with grapes, cherries, nuts, yogurt… and my medications *cough*. Because Lady Luck has a crush on my Piano Man—I’m sure of it—we got to stand under yummy shade as we waited for The Javits Center to open its doors.
One of our first missions was to check out the length of a particular line (we wanted to get an autographed book for a friend). You can see most of the autograph lines… The picture was taken more than two hours before the authors arrived.
Yes, I nearly died of fictitious shock…
Aside from the ridiculous amount of swag we got to take home, my day was brightened by the presence of author Kay Williams. I’ve never read any of her work; but dear goodness, my Wicked Luvs, this lady has spirit. I want to be her when I grow up: hair gloriously white, a smile on my lips, a pen in my hand, and a vibe of joy surrounding people waiting for a book. The image of her sharing with her readers brings a warm grin to my face every time.
If the covering of that roll of parchment had been red, my Piano Man and all of BookCon’s security guards might not have been able to remove the thing from my mad-writer’s hands.
I was ecstatic after receiving my Certified Geek button. Now, the world knows!
And because people who don’t share the yum are certainly the slime of at least 2.5 galaxies, here is a post BookCon giveaway:
To enter the giveaway, tell me what part of this post (if any) made you smile, and why?
• The Matryoshka Murders, by Kay Williams
• Garlic, an Edible Biography, by Robin Cherry
• Winter Turning (Wings of Fire, Book 7), by by Tui T. Sutherland
• The Girl Next Door, by Selene Castrovilla
• The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss, by Max Wirestone
• Black Widow: Forever Red (sampler), by Margaret Stohl
• Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs, by Erik Didriksen
• Practicing Peace in Times of War, by Pema Chödrön
– Enter before June 9th, 11:59 EDT; the winners will be announced the next day.
– There will be three winners, selected via Random.Org.
– One title per winner (please choose a first, second and third title).
– Most of the books are advanced readers copies (ARCs); three of them are signed by the authors; two of the autographed books were signed to me (so you can tell people that you beat me silly and have a book to prove it *I’m keeping my Piano Man’s copies, so I can tell people that I beat him silly and have his books to prove it… bad to the bone, I tell you*); Black Widow: Forever Red is a sampler—the complete book won’t be out until this fall.
– Open worldwide, excluding any place where prohibited by law.
– Canadian winners, before claiming a prize, you must be ready to use your 3rd grade math.
* Best of luck, my Wicked Luvs.
This is the entire booty. So yes, there will be other giveaways in the future…