If the nearness of the Beautiful Freaks Fest (it starts tomorrow at 9:00am, EDT) is making your muse (and you) feel a tad insane, know that you’re not alone. So, be happy—feeling crazy, while in the company of other deliciously deranged people, is all kinds of cool. Seriously, this might be the easiest party to create things for…
…at least, it should be easy for us (proudly odd souls). It might come as an awful surprise to you, but most of the things we love and do seem freakish to the norms (unimaginative souls who have never appreciated the noble depths of Wednesday Addams, Igor, Edward Scissorhands, Arya Stark, Dobby *yes, a house elf who takes pride in fighting for freedom and wages is a beautiful freak*).
So, there is no need for panic. Unless panic makes you happy. If that’s the case, then panic until you squeal with maddening delight. The following are examples of Beautifully Freakish stories, dolls, poems, sculptures, paintings…:
– “A Hauntingly Mad Tea Party”, a very short story by Magaly Guerrero
– “Arabella”, a doll by Emma Yardis (of @GroovyGothic)
– “Must Love Freaks”, a poem by Magaly Guerrero
– “Baba Yaga Jar”, a sculpture by Sharon Rawson (of @TouchOfTheGoddess)
– “Baby Ghoul”, a painting by Gina Morley
– Pretty much anything involving characters created by Neil Gaiman, Tim Burton, Edward Gorey… and movies and books that remind you of these artists’ work.
And if no fictionally creative idea comes to mind, just post a picture of yourself, caption it, “Isn’t standing in a cave in the middle of the desert, with a sharp rock in your hand and a murderous smile on your face the coolest thing ever?” Really, my Luvs, post something like that, and you won’t even have to explain why you are one of the Beautiful (and, perhaps, slightly terrifying) Freaks of the world.
The Beautiful Freaks Fest 2017, hosted by Emma Yardis and the Wickedest Writer of Them All, starts tomorrow at 9:00am EDT. I hope to read you there. And if you haven’t entered my stitched poetry giveaway, follow the link.
“Isn’t standing in a cave in the middle of the desert, with a sharp rock in your hand and a murderous smile on your face the coolest thing ever?”