Writing fills emptiness. Words help heal hurts. Stories spell fantasies real… Would you write with me? I combined Witches in Fiction and Dark Poetry for the Cruellest Month, and they have birthed a new Autumn event: October’s Heart-Bits with Magaly. I hope you are ready to art deliciously dark words that nourish and tickle the eerie bone.
This year’s theme is simple: Love Is Love Is Love… and Words. Some might think the topic too tame for October (when the Veil thins and the Dark thickens). But love is only as bright or as dark as the feelings that feed the hearts doing the loving.
For our first October’s Heart-Bits with Magaly, let’s art love… all sorts of loves:
– if you are a storyteller, write a tale that shows us how you love words (even why).
– if you are a poet, or a painter, or a gardener, or a sculptor, or a chef, or a singer, or a potioneer, a jewelry maker, or an eccentric dragon who delights in hoarding princess dresses and exquisitely tiny teacups full of dainty skulls… create an entry that shows and tells (even chants) why you adore your chosen love, how loving your art makes you stronger, happier, more human (or just slightly less inclined to slap random people).
– Your posts must contain at least one magical element and some sort of love (dark love, sweet love, ridiculous love, terrifying love, insane love, gentle love…). Short stories should not be longer than 513 words and poems no longer than 5 stanzas.
Need an example? Fine, I’ll give you some…
– I love words, so the story or poem I craft for this event will reflect how writing and reading (and all things bookish) can feed mind and soul. I might birth a loving, lusty (or lovingly lusty) entry about ink and paper and love. It will contain the sort of word-love that speaks to me, maybe sentences like this one: “The screams of the world try to eat at my bones, but I have red ink in my soul. I will spell armored words onto my skin, let them become part of my flesh and bone, and share the wild word-magic with all.”
– If you are a lover of Japanese tea ceremony, you could craft a tale or poem or paint something that illustrates your love of this deep and sophisticated art (and if you are feeling extra nice, you could even walk the rest of us through the wondrous steps).
– You paint, garden, perform, sculpt, photograph…? Birth a new piece, infuse it with the pleasure you get from it, then write a story or poem that shows us your pleasure.
The fun starts on Fri, Oct 27th, at 10:13 am EDT. It will continue until Tue, Oct 31st, at 10:13 pm EDT. On party day, I’ll have a post for us to link our entries. You don’t have to do anything right now, other than leaving a comment to let me know you are in. If you’re feeling extra celebratious (that should be a real word), spread the news.
“Love Is Love Is Love… and Words”, by Shelle Kennedy
Writing fills emptiness. Words help heal hurts. Stories spell fantasies real…
…felt art (loved and shared) can accomplish anything. Would you write with me?